Re: head advice needed

Subject: Re: head advice needed
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 04:43:06 -0800
Thanks all for the advice...

I had already done this and pulled the head before I wrote :)

> A head off is required in either case, so have a good look-see. My bet
> is
> that you will find something stuck under the valve. Certainly Phil is
> correct in that it is easier to do an engine job once instead of
> twice, but
> my philosophy has been that if it works, don't fix it. When you are
> prepared
> to do the total overhaul both physically and financially, then do it.

I was able to remove the valve in question last night, and discovered
carbon that was interfering with valve operation building up on and
around the valve seat.  However, I also discovered that the valve guide
tolerance is extremely tight. I could not remove the valve without
help, and cannot reinstall at all.

Something tells me this isn't right.  Just to be safe, I am going to
take the head to be properly machined (I don't have the resources to do
it myself).  The carbon buildup in #2 was no worse than the other
cylinders, so I am going to assume that whatever happened there will
happen in the others as well, so just to be safe, I am going to have
them work on the entire head.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.wsu.edu/~aaronpw/MG/
  '75 B (red for now), headless

--
Aaron Whiteman

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic.  -- Arthur C. Clarke