Re: Hardened Valve Seats

To: "Dave Wood" <dwood143@comcast.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hardened Valve Seats
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay@stoolhead.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:27:32 -0500
> I still put a lead additive in with each fill
> up.

Dave, et al., I have had old cars (British and
other) for years and have never used additives OR
worried about valve seats.  My general opinion
is; Drive it as is, using the highest octane fuel
available if it is a high compression engine (as
that is what the additives help with mostly)
until a problem develops -- which for me, it
never has.  At that point, if it did damage a
valve, you can bet that the whole engine could
benefit from a valve job.  That will let you
drive now and if you have to service it, you THEN
install new valve seats, new valve guides and
replace valves where needed, when needed. ALL of
that work is cheap -- especially compared to the
headaches of additives and replaced seats for
fear of damage.

Just my two-cents.

Rick
'76 Midget