Re: Hardened Valve Seats/now Dual Weber

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardened Valve Seats/now Dual Weber
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:27:11 EST
In a message dated 12/01/2004 10:08:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Actually there would be some advantage, particularily during transition.
> Moss UK does have a twin Weber DCOE manifold for the B series, and I did own
> one for a number of years, but never used it.  Some lucky so and so bought it
> from me at the Pasadena MG swap meet after I decided to go with a cross flow
> head (still not installed either).

And that is what I referred to in my post as 'split' Webers, Kelvin. More
common on Minis.

I am not sure, but I think Max is having trouble with plurals.

Max - one Weber has 2 throats. That is what you likely have on your engine if
it is a cast iron head, since you only have 2 ports to feed into. It is
incorrect to refer to that as having "Webers", which is what prompted my
comment.
You have 'a Weber'.

In the event that you have what you SAID - 2 Webers, each with 2 throats,
then you have been sold a setup that has no valid use on the street. I hope
that
is not the case.

And FYI, the HRG head was first produced in the mid 50s for use on the MG
Magnette and MGA 1500, it went through 4 different models, 2 small valve and 2
large, and was then unavailable (new) for many years until someone in the UK
decided to recast them.

In many vintage racing organisations only the original HRG-Derrington heads
may be used, and so they usually bring a premium. I use those heads on my TVR
race car.

Bill