Re: heater replacement 79 B

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heater replacement 79 B
From: "Norm" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:06:57 -0500
While not the round handle type of the Sprite, a basic valve is available at
most hardware stores in the plumbing section.

A few years ago, I tired of replacing standard heater valves every year or so
- always at an inconvenient time.  So, I took an old ruptured valve, cut off
the last 1" of the aluminum section that bolts to the head, tapped it for a
tapered nipple, fitted an elbow, then a 90-degree on/off valve & another
nipple.  Total cost about $4.  It hasn't leaked yet.  And, allows full flow of
coolant.

While I haven't rigged it to adjust with the temperature control knob, it
could be done.  Here in CT, it seems it's either cold or hot.  So, valve is
either open or closed.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB