RE: GPS OFF TOPIC

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GPS OFF TOPIC
From: John Innis <innisjohn@mcleodusa.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:25:50 -0600
Actually that is the Federal Aviation Regulation at the moment, but
it will likely soon change.  Regardless, I susggest that you NOT use
a handheld GPS on a commercial flight.  you see, the problem is that
the pilot may not realise why that particular regulation exists or
the potential problems that a given device can cause.  I will not go
into details here, it is not my intent  to start a flame war (and an
off topic one at that).  But I do work for a company that designs and
builds Avionics.  I have seen first hand the difference between the
commercial GPS units and the equipment that we build.  It is in
design and testing to insure that equipment cannot interfere with
other systems on the aircraft.  For equipment that we sell for use on
aircraft, there are stringent regulations.  For equipment that only
has to be FCC legal, the requirements are much lower.

This topic has been discussed ad nasaum in many more appropiate
venues, so I will go no further than to say I recomend that you not
use your personal GPS on commercial flights.

John

--
"Never offend people with style when you can