Re: funny auction for 80 'B LE

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: funny auction for 80 'B LE
From: Mike Lins <linsmc@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:29:00 -0800 (PST)
About the mechanical fan installed on the factory electric model...

He stated that it had an A/C unit that was on the car but not currently
installed. I also, have a 1980 MGB with A/C. From what I understand, A/C was an
dealer option, offered by the dealer in the southern part of the US. The
problem with putting A/C on MGB's (mine at least) is that the compressor puts
such a drag on the engine that the little factory fans, can't keep the engine
cool. Heck, they're only covering half the radiator anyways. When I first got
my MGB I got it from my grandfather who owned it for ten years before It came
into my posession. When my gradfather bought the car (about '87) my MG had the
engine driven fan too, but no radiator shroud so, the engine-driven fan was
kind of pointless being so far away from the radiator.

He removed the engine-driven fan and put another electrical fan on the engine
side of the radiator and it does the job OK, although I rarely ever use the A/C.

By the way, If anyone out there happened to have one of those radiator shrouds
that fits on 77-80 MGB's , that you'd like to sell, let me know. Thanks!

Mike Lins

1980 MGB

Harold Pulcher <pulcher@killercomputing.com> wrote:
I am putting in another theory. He was lied to. :)

What's with both the electric fan and the engine driven one?