Re: funny auction for 80 'B LE

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: funny auction for 80 'B LE
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:23:03 -0600
MGBnutt@aol.com wrote:
> Here's some more observations:
>
> The engine is painted the wrong color
> The alternator is mounted to the air-pump bracket
> The British Leyland badge on the front wings (fenders) did not appear
> after 1977 (per Clausager's "Original MGB" book)

Clausager's book?  Isn't that the one that shows all
these MGBs with glossy black undersides?  Seems to
me all 5 of my 'Bs have undercoating, not glossy black
paint.

Seriously though, MGs were built by hand.  We had an incredible
presentation at the San Diego MG Club by a fellow who had spent
years photographing the MG factory.  He said when they'd run out
of engine paint, they'd send Nigel or whoever down to the hardware
store.  In other words, there was no *correct* original color.  It was
whatever shade of maroon they had.  Remeber, hand built, in the days
before everyone had a colorimeter and computer to mix paint.  Same
thing about a lot of things, they picked up parts where they could...
and, really, what's a 'B LE worth?  The lowest HP output of any MGB?
I'd rather see someone modify one for driving, rather than see them
rot.  I've seen way too many MGBs, Midgets, etc sitting dead in
junkyards waiting to be crushed than to worry about smog canisters
and shades of maroon/red/burgandy.

Drive 'em!

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary