Tie rod ends

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tie rod ends
From: "philip.s.jones" <philip.s.jones@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:41:13 -0800
Hello friendly list-ers.  I was performing some normal maintenance on my '72
GT this morning, and noticed that both of my tie rod end gaiters (rubbers?)
had holes.  They were worn through at the front edge.  I was surprised at how
little clearance there is between the tie rod ends and the Minator wheels I
have on the car, and started wondering if there was cause/effect, or just
coincidence.  So here's the question:  has anyone had a problem with clearance
between tie rod ends and Minator wheels?  Or is this just a case of old tie
rod rubbers "squishing out" and making contact with the wheels . . . Tie rod
end replacement is in the planning stage right now, either way.  Any hints on
disassembly?  Picklefork and BFH would be my first guess.  Thanks in advance
for any helpful comments.

BTW:  for Seattle-area listers, this Friday February 13th marks the first
"Friday night rally" of the season (details at
http://www.teamhightower.com/nwrc/).  Last year I did three and was the only
MG to show up.  Come on out, folks - it's fun; and a good excuse to get the
old car out there.

Hope to see you there.