Re: Subject: 6 MGB GTwiring questions

To: "Dan Furbish" <Barn.Owl@verizon.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: 6 MGB GTwiring questions
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:11:35 -0500
Subject: Subject: 6 MGB GTwiring questions

> Hello MG listers,
>
>  I have had my 1968 MGB GT undercover in a small garage and up on
>  blocks for about 2 years. I run it few months or so, it fires right up.
> It's all stock accept for the Brit T9 5 speed, HS6 carbs and Petronix
ignition.

>  I have 6 questions I hope you all can answer for me.
> 1. Which company should I buy a Quality wiring harness from?

British Wiring Services, Olympia Fields Ill. They have a web site and will
quote you up to date prices.  1a. approx. cost?

> 2. Is it 'relatively' easy to install by a new car mechanic? who has
agreed to help me.

Yes, if you can read your manual's diagram and can distinguish colors, it's
just a lot of easy work. Each appropriate wire will fit to each component as
you route the harness throughout thecar.

> 3. Should I take the seats and carpet out to make it easier?
>  (I'm planning on  taking these out anyways to clean the floor pan area
etc).

Yes, it's probably easier to get at the dash, etc.

> 4. How long does it 'normally' take to do a neat job?

I'd suggest taking a bunch of pictures before you remove the old harness to
help you with routing. clip locations, etc.
It will likely take you 10 to 12 hours on an assembled car, less for one
dismantled for restoration, dash loose etc.

> 5. What harnesses should I replace?

Upon inspection, what ones seem in poor condition. British Wiring Services
will work with you and sell you whatever sections you need.
> 6. Do you suggest I incorporate a 4 blade type fuse block? If so where
should I
> purchase such an item?

It's a whole lot easier to keep the car as original as possible and will
greatly add to any possible future resale.
Good luck and any more questions, contact me.
Rich Chrysler