Re: 6 MGB GTwiring questions

To: "Dan Furbish" <Barn.Owl@verizon.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 6 MGB GTwiring questions
From: "G.G. Causey" <ggcausey@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:02:20 -0800
Dan:
Before you do anything, go here:
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ and click on Spanners, then Electrics and read!
...also here, and read:
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/harness.htm

> 1. Which company should I buy a Quality wiring harness from?
I bought mine at British Wiring. Extremely high quality, and they can do a semi-
custom job for you (I for instance have an alternator in my '67 MGB GT, which
they accommodated with the correct wires and connectors).
http://www.britishwiring.com/Harness.htm
> 1a. approx. cost?
There's a link on their web site to obtain an estimate.
> 2. Is it 'relatively' easy to install by a new car mechanic? who has agreed to
> help me.
Yes -- and if you need help, the folks at British Wiring will even talk to you
on the telephone. You should get a color-coded wiring schematic, and maybe have
it enlarged and laminated at a copy shop. Here's one:
http://www.mgbexperience.com/view/index.php?service/wiring-6267.jpg
> 3. Should I take the seats and carpet out to make it easier?  (I'm
> planning on  taking these out anyways to clean the floor pan area etc).
It certainly won't make it any harder.
> 4. How long does it 'normally' take to do a neat job?
Didn't time mine, and did it a couple of hours at a time over a winter. Be
prepared to remove instruments and/or the radio to gain access to some
connectors.
> 5. What harnesses should I replace?
Main, Overdrive, Headlamps
> 6. Do you suggest I incorporate a 4 blade type fuse block? If so where
> should I purchase such an item?
I kept my 2-fuse block, but added several relays with blade-type fuse holders I
bought from British Wiring. I mounted them on a home-made panel where my old
voltage regulator used to live and added a distribution block to connect to the
big fat wire at the starter.

~Jerry