HIF too rich

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HIF too rich
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:28:18 -0600
After rebuilding (and rebushing) and installing HIF's on the 79B, I just had
them adjusted by a British Car mechanic since I couldn't seem to get them
quite right. After using a exhaust analyzer and adjusting both carbs, he
says the front carb is running too rich and can't get it adjusted any
leaner.
What could be the cause of this? He suggested it might be the needle. If so,
what would be a leaner needle than the one that comes in the Moss rebuild
kit?
I've driven it about 100 miles today, and it seems to run well; I even took
it up to 90 mph on one stretch (it had more in it, but 90 was enough:-)  and
it didn't miss or cut out.
Thanks,
Monte