'78 MGB alternator charging?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: '78 MGB alternator charging?
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:33:26 -0500
I am wondering if the alternator can slowly retire or is it all or none?

Here is something I noticed recently when driving at night and it is dark
(duh!) with the headlights on (double duh!): the 'ignition' light is very
faintly glowing. I also note said light is pulsing slowly - i.e. very dim -
then very, very dim, - then very dim, etc

The drive belt is new & adjusted correctly. All connections at the starter &
battery are good (clean & tight).

I connected a voltmeter and took it out for a drive. With any load applied
(headlights, heater blower motor) the volt meter is reading 12.7 - 12.9V at
an engine speed over 2500 rpm. Idle shows ~ 12.3V. With lights, etc OFF, the
meter shows 13.1 - 13.3V.

I do not have an ammeter of high enough rating to see if it is putting out
enough amperage.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Eric Russell