Tire size vs. gearing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire size vs. gearing
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:21:32 -0800 (PST)
I need some help with how the overall tire diameter of
my tires will affect the overall gearing.  The reason
I ask is because I have a dual purpose (vintage racing
and street driven) 1971 MGB that looks like it's going
to be significantly down on power from the front
runners.  I'll also be using the stock transmission
and gear ratios.  I'd like to find out what everyone
thinks in terms of how tire size might be used to help
maximize the overall performance of this relatively
pedestrian setup.

The 185/70-14 street tires I have have an overall
diameter of 24.196"  The tire sizes I am considering
are:

205/60-14 (OD = 23.685")
195/60-14 (OD = 23.212")
195/55-14 (OD = 22.444")

Obviously, the 205 will give me more grip (helpful in
a car that lacks power), but if I decide to forgo a
little grip and use 195 tires, any opinions on how the
60 or 55 aspect ratios and their correspondingly
smaller ODs will help the car accelerate?  Is it
something that will be pretty significant, or a
relatively minor change?

Calculating total gearing is totally beyond me, and
I'm not necessarily looking someone to do that for me.
 Mostly, I'd just like to know opinions on what you
THINK I'll get out of the different sizes.

Thanks in advance,

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005