Re: Tire size vs. gearing

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire size vs. gearing
From: "G.G. Causey" <ggcausey@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:57:56 -0800
Paul,
I can't speak from LBC experience, just my experiences with my totally stock
1972 VW Beetle park 'n ride car. When I switch between my 165R-15 (78 series?)
winter tires on 4.5 inch wide rims, and my 195/65-15 summer tires on 5.5 inch
wide rims the difference in acceleration (in 1st and 2nd anyway) is highly
noticeable from a seat of the pants aspect. The summer tires make my tired old
VW feel MUCH peppier. I think big, wide tires look really great, even if they
don't provide much performance increase for the buck. I have 195/60-15s on 6x15
Panasports for my MGB GT.

Just as a suggestion, I think a 4-cylinder MGB running on 195 or larger width
tires is considerably over-tired for the available horsepower, and will reduce
your top speed significantly over, say a 185/65-14 tire, and will contribute
very little increased grip. Tire compound will make more difference. Even a
relatively gummy street tire like a Yokohama AVS ES100, however, won't do well
against real racing tires. You really need 2 sets of wheels and tires (hey,
it's only money, right?).
Check out Barney Gaylord's pages on "Mags and Stickys":
http://www.mgaguru.com/picmg/magwhl.htm
...and Tire Tech:
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/tires/tt101.htm
~Jerry