Re: Horn

To: "Paul Root" <proot@iaces.com>, <dschure@c-c-p.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Horn
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:18:59 -0000
The 'stick' *is* called the brush in the books, which is odd, because it
doesn't rub on anything as the wheel turns but rotates with it.  What I
would have called the brush is the fixed contact that bears on the back of
the slip ring and rubs on it as the wheel turns, being attached to the
indicator switch assembly on some years at least.  This contact has the
purple/black wire that carries the column ground from the horn button to the
horns, which are 'backed' by a fused 12v from the purple circuit to complete
the circuit.  Grounding the purple/black should sound the horns if
everything else is OK.

77 model year cars did move the horn push back to the column stalk as you
say (as it was for various years up to 71) and had the purple circuit going
to one side of the horn switch and the other side connected to the
purple/black which went to the horns, which were backed by a ground, i.e.
the column ground wasn't used, and grounding the purple/black won't sound
the horns ... but *will* blow the purple fuse if the horn push is operated
at the same time!

PaulH.