Re: head gasket?

To: "Mike Duvall" <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: head gasket?
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:28:30 -0500
If all is well... ANY car should eject a bit of moisture
at startup.  The heat of the engine block vs the temp of the air
causes condensation. (inside the block if air temp warms
abruptly compared to the block)   Winter is worse.

EVERY catalytic converter equipped car MUST eject water...
of the converter is already bad. Water is a by-product of the
catalytic conversion of the exhaust gases.

As long as the water 'stops' when warmed up... you're OK.
If the head gasket were bad (leaking water into the cyls)
you'd be pressurizing the radiator/water system via the
compression of the engine.

Wit he engine running and the radiator cap off.... if you
don't see any bubbles in the radiator (air being forced in)
don't worry about the head gasket. Also a simple
compression test can help alleviate your fears as well.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com