Re: head gasket?

Subject: Re: head gasket?
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:38:23 -0800
On Feb 28, 2004, at 9:50 AM, Mike Duvall wrote:

> When I first start my B is blows out little drops of water and steams
> a little it goes away after it warms up to operating temp. I am
> looking at a new head gasket?

Where is this water?

A small amount of water at the tailpipe is a normal byproduct of
burning gasoline[0].  When the exhaust is cold, the water will condense
back to liquid before it reaches the tailpipe.  Once things are warmed
up, the water is still there but vapor isn't something you can see.

Water under the bonnet is another story.

[0]: http://oxygen.chem.uidaho.edu/tebchem111/lecture_content/rxn1.htm

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.wsu.edu/~aaronpw/MG/
  '75 B (red for now), HIF4 carbs

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]