oil consumption

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil consumption
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 09:37:00 -0600
I'm experiencing a high oil consumption (200 miles/qt) in the 67B(hasn't
been driven since November). Since the compression tests are good, several
have suggested the PCV valve may be the problem.
In reading about oil consumption problems on the British Automotive website
and trying to decipher the "mechanic language", I find the following
statement:
"The PCV valve diaphragm varies the opening to the inlet manifold according
to the depression or crankcase pressure acting upon it. With a decrease in
manifold depression or an increase in crankcase pressure, the diaphragm
opens the valve allowing these crankcase gases to be drawn into the inlet
manifold."
Does a "decrease in manifold depression" mean less vacuum?
Thanks,
Monte