SU Carb ID, HS6s

To: rowman22001@yahoo.com
Subject: SU Carb ID, HS6s
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:34:27 -0600
"Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I need to get a set of rebuildable 1 3/4" SU's - the
>HS6's - and I came across these on eBay today:

Paul,

Why HS6s?  If it is for the correct factory look, that's one thing,
but an MGB engine other than _maybe_ a FULL race engine,
does not need HS6s.  There was a fellow out east running a 'B GT
like mine in rally.  It met a large oak tree at 70, and has since
been retired.  Whilst discussing his back-up motor -- trick cam,
83mm pistons, super serious head, the question of carbies came
up:  "Oh no, I'd never run the HS6s.  4s have plenty of airflow,
the 6s are just too much carb."

I would agree.  You get too much flow and not enough velocity, so
stick with the 4s.  HS if you want to look the period part, HIF if
you want a slightly better carb.  Don't forget to read the Vizard
book and treat the butterfly are correctly.

I sold the HS6s I picked up because I figured I'd never use them,
But, there's one place I do have HS6s now -- on a 3.5 Rover V8.
On a 'B you'd basically get something that might run great
at full open throttle, but any place else it'd suck.  Or not suck
enough... well, not fast enough to be more specific.

If these aren't for a 'B, my apologies for butting in!

Sing blue silver,

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary