Re: SU Carb identification

To: "David Woerpel" <dwoerpel@wi.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU Carb identification
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:38:51 -0800
David,

Yes, the factory did fit some of their competition MGBs with HS6s and
special, larger intake manifolds. For street use, they are really only the
equivalent of a racing stripe on the hood, as the stock head flows so
inefficiently. Even with a properly ported and polished head, the benefits
of the larger carb will only be noticed above 5,000 rpm; with gas costing
what it does these days and the increasing scarcity of traffic-free roads
where our cars can be driven in a spirited manner, my preference is to
retain the stronger torque characteristics of the 1-1/2" SUs.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center