Re: Photos of many brand new MGB's in car lot?

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>, <proe@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Subject: Re: Photos of many brand new MGB's in car lot?
From: <proe@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:14:32 -0000
Albert, Thank you for the very interesting story about the MG car company in
its
final days! The history of the car always fascinates me and I am sure to many
other MG fans like myself. I will have to look into subscribing to the North
American Classic MG Magazine.

Thanks again.

Phillp Roe, Westhampton, LI, NY

member of the MG Car Club, Long Island Centre
67 MGB
80 MGB
58 MGA (most recent purchase at a local auction)

Aeseeyou@aol.com said:

> Phillip Roe of Westhampton, LI, NY wanted to know...
>
> Hello to everyone. Several years ago someone posted photos of many new late
> model MGB's (on a car lot in England I believe) just before the MG car
>company
> closed. If that person is still on the list can they repost these photos? I
> would be interested in seeing them again. Thank you very much!
>
> Hello Phillip,
> I have a friend by the name of Ken Smith who was very involved with the MG
> Clubs in and around Abingdon before and during the closing of the MG factory.
> couple of years ago he did a presentation on the MG factory & showed pictures
> of the last two MGB's built, a pewter colored roadster and a golden colored
> GT. When the MG front office announced that they were going to shut the plant
> down for good (BAD!) an angry & very emotional, vocal and demonstrative group
>of
> MG owners, admirers & supporters decided to hold a 24 hr. around the clock
> vigil beginning on or around the day the Plant managers had announced as it's
> final day of operation. But when the MG Bosses saw and heard this boisterous
> assemblage as well as a growing group of media types (TV, newspaper, radio
> reporters & many other social commentators of the time) who had gathered to
>bear
> witness to the closing of the MG plant report on the end of a significant era
>in
> modern British automotive history. Those MG big shots didn't want to become
> the subject of all of this notoriety, so they told the assembled group that
> there had been a miscalculation of sorts and (Hurrah!!) the MG plant wasn't
going
> to close on that day after all! But, just as fast as the group of MG mourners
> retired over to the "Old Speckled Hen" or there about's, BLAM! Those darn
> bosses slammed the factory doors shut! Thereby denying all of those MG Lovers
who
> had gathered around to lament the passing of the MG company and the shutting
> down of the plant any closure. He shared this and many other anecdotal
>glimpses
> along with many many photos,slides and memorabilia that he owns! I believe
> that the last MGB roadster ended up alongside the first MG ever to be
>imported
> into the US at the Gast Museum in Strasburg, Pennsylvania. But back to my
> friend Ken Smith he was the PR person for Moss Motors for many years, going
as
> many car shows and related types of LBC events for the company. Until he
> retired and became the Editor of the North American Classic MG Magazine.
>Which
is a