Re: Photos of many brand new MGB's in car lot?

To: proe@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Subject: Re: Photos of many brand new MGB's in car lot?
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:05:12 EST
Phillip Roe of Westhampton, LI, NY wanted to know...

Hello to everyone. Several years ago someone posted photos of many new late
model MGB's (on a car lot in England I believe) just before the MG car company
closed. If that person is still on the list can they repost these photos? I
would be interested in seeing them again. Thank you very much!

Hello Phillip,
I have a friend by the name of Ken Smith who was very involved with the MG
Clubs in and around Abingdon before and during the closing of the MG factory. A
couple of years ago he did a presentation on the MG factory & showed pictures
of the last two MGB's built, a pewter colored roadster and a golden colored
GT. When the MG front office announced that they were going to shut the plant
down for good (BAD!) an angry & very emotional, vocal and demonstrative group
of
MG owners, admirers & supporters decided to hold a 24 hr. around the clock
vigil beginning on or around the day the Plant managers had announced as it's
final day of operation. But when the MG Bosses saw and heard this boisterous
assemblage as well as a growing group of media types (TV, newspaper, radio
reporters & many other social commentators of the time) who had gathered to
bear
witness to the closing of the MG plant report on the end of a significant era
in
modern British automotive history. Those MG big shots didn't want to become
the subject of all of this notoriety, so they told the assembled group that
there had been a miscalculation of sorts and (Hurrah!!) the MG plant wasn't
going
to close on that day after all! But, just as fast as the group of MG mourners
retired over to the "Old Speckled Hen" or there about's, BLAM! Those darn
bosses slammed the factory doors shut! Thereby denying all of those MG Lovers
who
had gathered around to lament the passing of the MG company and the shutting
down of the plant any closure. He shared this and many other anecdotal glimpses
along with many many photos,slides and memorabilia that he owns! I believe
that the last MGB roadster ended up alongside the first MG ever to be imported
into the US at the Gast Museum in Strasburg, Pennsylvania. But back to my
friend Ken Smith he was the PR person for Moss Motors for many years, going to
as
many car shows and related types of LBC events for the company. Until he
retired and became the Editor of the North American Classic MG Magazine. Which
is a
wonderful magazine for all MG enthusiasts as well as any one else who loves a
beautifully done and tastefully put together magazine that will become a
keepsakes each one being very special.  His email is: kensca@earthlink.net
/reg.
mail:  PO Box 8645, Goleta,CA.  93117  telephone (805)683-2906. I've often
asked
him if he ever plans to assemble all his MG stuff into a Book or whatever (a
Video cassette or CD or a DVD) and he just smiles. This man is truly an Icon
of his time and a treasure trove of knowledge.
-=Safety-Fast!=-
Albert Escalante
1978 MGB & 1977 Jaguar XJ6-L
Central Coast British Car Club (Ca.)