rear end leaks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: rear end leaks
From: "WESLEY SMITH" <wes-smith@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:09:23 -0800
HI List

My 64 B has a leak in the center from the gasket and another into the r r
wheel drum. My spring project.

1. I see there is more then one seal when I removed the axle shafts and look
at my Bentley book. What are the chances I need to remove that nut to
replace the oil seal behind the bearing?  I am having a little trouble
paying moss $36 for the socket to remove the nut.  Looks like the other side
was replaced using a cold chisel to get it off and back on.

2. The bevel pinion and gear carrier semm to be getting hung up on the
battery boxes as I try and get it out.  I need just a touch more clearance
somewhere.  I am going to try again tomorrow.  It looks like it will come
out and the Bentley book seems to say so too.  Anybody else had similar
experences? Once I get it off I was planing on taking it to the local
British Repair Shop to check and adjust the shims while I have it out.  Is
this reasonable?   I could likley do the gasket now if that is all I needed
to do.

Thanks

Wes Smith
64 B

Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1!
(Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/