Re: rear end leaks

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear end leaks
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:31:35 -0800
on 3/14/04 10:09 PM, WESLEY SMITH at wes-smith@msn.com wrote:

> HI List
>
> My 64 B has a leak in the center from the gasket and another into the r r
> wheel drum. My spring project.
>
> 1. I see there is more then one seal when I removed the axle shafts and look
> at my Bentley book. What are the chances I need to remove that nut to
> replace the oil seal behind the bearing?  I am having a little trouble
> paying moss $36 for the socket to remove the nut.  Looks like the other side
> was replaced using a cold chisel to get it off and back on.

The inner seal is the most likely culprit, so I think you will have to bite
the bullet. Maybe you can find a local MG Lister who can loan you the
socket. Heck, I will mail you mine if you promise to send it back.

> 2. The bevel pinion and gear carrier semm to be getting hung up on the
> battery boxes as I try and get it out.  I need just a touch more clearance
> somewhere.  I am going to try again tomorrow.  It looks like it will come
> out and the Bentley book seems to say so too.  Anybody else had similar
> experences? Once I get it off I was planing on taking it to the local
> British Repair Shop to check and adjust the shims while I have it out.  Is
> this reasonable?   I could likley do the gasket now if that is all I needed
> to do.

Well, based on the evidence of the PO's MO (chisel marks?), it might be a
good idea to check it out. But if I didn't have any negative indications
(slop, howling, metal chips in the drained oil), I would be inclined to just
put in the new gasket and be done.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149