Re: New rear disk brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New rear disk brakes
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:26:51 -0600
Eric <eric@erickson.on.net> wrote:

>When someone else asked me how scared I got I actually thought about it
>and realised that, when it is actually happening, you (well I) actually
>feel no fear whatsoever.  You are too busy working out where you are;

Exactly.  And you're not trying to be a tough-guy about it too, you know,
(in best John Wayne voice) "well I didn't have time to be scared, pilgrim",
but that's really what it's like, when you are doing it you are just too
focused.  It's after that fact that (sometimes) the fear kicks in.  I bent
the front of the rally car on a nasty yump, spent the rest of the event
with a car that had the characteristics of "plows like John Deere and then
terminal oversteer".  We (gotta love rally, when something goes bad you
get to partially blame the co-driver) stuffed it in to a berm on the side of
a mountain.  On the other side of the berm it was a long way down,
with very little to slow ya down -- I wasn't too flustered when I stuffed the
car,
but sitting on the side there, looking waaayyy down, waiting for sweep,
that's when the old heart rate went up.

>Pity it wasn't on tape somewhere.

Three words:  in-car camera.  Doesn't have to be a nice new fancy one,
I use cheap ones in the rally car (they'll just get rattled to bits anyway).
No one seems to mind the so-so quality, particularly when you can
show them segments like:

Co-driver "stumps on left in 10"
Co-driver "stumps on left; stumps on left"
WAM!!
Co-driver "they lied, stumps on right"

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary