New rear disk brakes

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New rear disk brakes
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:05:33 +1030
OK, I was asking what I should expect from my new rear disk brakes and
LSD - out on the racetrack.

Well, I can tell you.

After minimal practice laps (we only had four qualifying/practice laps
in the morning due to delays in scrutineering) and I came off the track
feeling very unsettled.  It just didn't feel "right" and I really didn't
push it too hard (brakes and/or cornering).  It was my first time back
on the track after a year off and I used it more as a recon. run -
remembering the corners.

I was expecting another round of practice laps - but they didn't come.

So straight out into competition and I wonder how many of you have
pulled on the handbrake at 100 miles an hour?  Because that was what it
felt like on our little back straight (ooops, too much rear break - too
late to adjust bias then).

That would have to have been the fastest spin I have ever had and it
left me seeing WALL, TRACK AND CARS, WALL, TRACK AND CARS - one complete
360 and some say another - others just say a further 180 degree spin
then a long way sideways until I grabbed it and got it back under
control.  This was off the track in the grass and dirt.  I honestly
can't tell you how many times I went round - but I travelled a long way.
Instantaneous spin - I never had a chance to try to catch - it happened
SO quickly.

That wall was far too close for comfort.

The LSD was another story.  Later in the day I found myself braking too
early into a corner (not used to the brakes and not remembering braking
points) with someone closing rapidly behind me.  I made some stupid
spur-of-the-moent decision to just forge my own OFF-line through the
corner and floored it... the limited slip diff did just that, ploughing
straight through the corner on the line I took.  Not turning, drifting
or whatever, just straight through and out the other side - off the track.

Man - I have some setting up to do and some getting used to this new stuff!

Oh yeah, I was running on borrowed rear tyres that turned out to be
garbage, they would "let go" at the weirdest places (after I had gotten
through a fast corner).  According to witnesses it wasn't diff lock...
they just reached a point where they let off a puff of smoke and said
they didn't want to play any more sending me tank slapping until I could
grab it back again.

Oh yeah - when I get the energy (calm down) I will find out what went
"bang" in the front suspension on the final lap of the day - I finished
the lap - but she is sitting a bit funny.  I was too disappointed to
look at it before heading home

A hard day at the office - slow lap times - lots of grass clippings -
lots of frustration.  Why is it these things are never finished in time
to test properly before throwing them into the action?

I might go walk the dog!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII