Re: High Ratio Rockers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: High Ratio Rockers
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:18:07 EST
In a message dated 22/03/2004 10:48:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

I've  been reading Peter Burgess' book here and have been thinking about
going for  some high ratio rockers for my '70 MGB daily driver.  I have a
couple
of  questions that maybe some of the people out in list land can help  with.

It appears to me that if you go for roller rockers you have to  get a whole
knew assembly.  If I go for normal rockers just with a higher  ratio, do I need
to change the pedistals or shaft or  springs?
They change the fulcrum point of the rockers and thus move the shaft centre
over, so yes, you'd need a new assembly, or the rockers wouldn't be pushing on
 the valve stem properly any more (just like happens when people carve chunks
off  the heads and don't shorten the pushrods).  They do supply replacement
rockers that fit the stock pedestals and shaft, but they aren't ideal in terms
 of geometry.

Is there a downside to use the high ratio  rockers?
Yes - on a street car you will have thrown away a considerable chunk of  cash
for no discernable benefit.
Bill