RE: From wires to bolt-on

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, <kmwheeler@ualr.edu>,
Subject: RE: From wires to bolt-on
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:10:48 -0800
Paul:

The typical conversion would involve converting from wire wheels to bolt on
American made alloy or Datsun wheels which have more offset.  I've seen a
number of cars that had been converted that were fitted with Rostyle wheels and
did have problems with anything over a 165/80 tire rubbing the (usually) right
hand leaf spring.

Alloys with 195/60 or 185/70 tires looked ok, but the narrow tire on the narrow
rear end definitely looked wrong.

Kelvin.

used to have a 1970 MGB that was converted from ww to American racing alloys.

There is some argument on this point.  I have spoken
with half a dozen MGB vintage racers who have swapped
over the hubs and left the wire wheel axles in place,
and none of them experienced any problems.  I
specifically asked: "Won't that cause tire clearance
problems?" and they ALL replied: "Bah!  That's an old
wives tale!"  They seemed to think my concern was
quite amusing...