Re: Red Warning Lite, Now: Tach Attack

To: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Subject: Re: Red Warning Lite, Now: Tach Attack
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:49:24 -0600
Chuck Renner wrote:

>>Anyway. It's terribly foggy tonght. We'd just started off from a traffic
>>light, and I was going 60 in a 55 in the fog, in the left lane. Probably
>>going a bit too fast. We are maybe a 1/2 mile from where we merge onto
>>the main Interstate. This guy comes up and is tailgating me. So as I'm
>>going too fast to probably react to something like a deer coming out of
>>the fog, I slow down. No brakes. He gets closer. I can't see his
>>headlights in my RVM. But I know they are there since he's turned on his
>>brights. By this time, the car that's been next to me has pulled a half
>>car length ahead. The guy jumps over there, and when there is about 3
>>feet distance between the back bumper of the person and my front bumper,
>>the guy comes, fast. Fortunately, no one else was tailgating me, because
>>I hit the brakes hard and dove for the shoulder. Fortunately, there was
>>a shoulder and not a ditch or railing.
>

> First, this guy was being an idiot.
 >
> That said, it sounds like if you had followed the rules of the road, this
> guy could have blown by and not ruined your night.

I don't let road rage ruin my night.

> You say you were running in the left lane of what was apparently some sort
> of highway.  Unless you're actively passing, this isn't the place to be.
> Sounds like you were basically making a rolling roadblock with the guy in
> the right lane.  If you were actively passing, you would have completed your
> pass and moved back to the right lane, leaving this joker free to drive
> blindly into the fog.

Well, it's not exactly a highway. I'm generally in the right lane. You
exit off one Interstate (35W) onto this road (Highway 10), that merges
you with County 10, which becomes the right lane and the exit ramp which
is the left lane.

There was no opportunity to move right before the stop light. I don't
see 25 feet between two cars as a place to get over. After the stop
light, I accellerated normally. So did the Camry. Then we hit a thicker
patch of fog. I slowed down a bit. I like to see where I'm going.

That's when the headlight flashing and tailgating started. I slow down
some more. By then I couldn't move over the the right because the fine
citizen excercising his "right" to drive was doing his thing.

Shortly after that, the two lanes combine into one, and you merge back
onto the other Interstate (694)

I suppose I'm partially to blame for driving in a normal matter for poor
visability conditions.

> Some good reading on a similar subject:
>
>http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=7652&page_number=1

I'll look these over.