RE: not a request for the purists in the group : ) 22 Mar 04.

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: not a request for the purists in the group : ) 22 Mar 04.
From: "David Breneman" <DAVID.BRENEMAN@dhl.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:34:19 -0800
 on 3/26/04 12:03 PM, Charles & Peggy Robinson at
 ccrobins@ktc.com wrote:

>  Could happen, I guess.  In my case, while the wheel is stuck on the
> hub, there is some play when I wiggle it whith the nut off.
> The splines
>  must be flattened, in part.  In any event, the wheel won't
> slide off.

I had a similar problem with a rear wheel on my 68 MGB.  I was driving with a
friend back from Palm Springs.  While traversing the Grapevine going up I-5
(or, as Californians say for some inexplicable reason, "The Five") the left
rear wheel spun while braking.  Try as we might, we could not get that wheel
off, and on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere in 1978 no garages
were open.  So I put the knockoff on good and tight and we managed to drive
all the way back to Tacoma without using the brakes above 10 MPH the whole
way.  I think I finally used a gear puller to get the wheel off.  I didn't
really care of I damaged it or the hub in the process since both obviously
needed to be replaced.  As I recall, I stuck a socket over the wheel bearing
retaining nut to give the gear puller something to push against.