Re: Hopefully to Gary Anderson

To: BarrMark262@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hopefully to Gary Anderson
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:25:33 -0800 (PST)
--- BarrMark262@aol.com wrote:
> (Grassroots-doesn't that mean something about the
> average guy and gal?) I
> guess it does not apply to their mags. anymore.

Why not?  What's so bad about the magazines?  They are
TOTALLY grassroots!  The aricles are decent - not
great, but decent - and at least they are out there
publishing about cars we love!  Who else does that?

I get a whole slew of automotive publications here at
the house, including:

Classic and Sports Car (England)
Octane (England)
Motorsport (England)
Classic Cars (England)

I get TWO publications from the USA.  Sports Car
Market and Classic Motorsports.  (I used to get Road &
Track, but the only thing I care about in there
anymore is Peter Egan's column, which I can read in 3
minutes standing in Barnes and Noble...)

Classic Motorsports may not be the best magazine, and
it may not be British Car Magazine anymore, but at
least they are out there, slugging it out in a tough
marketplace and trying to sell a magazine based on
vintage motorcars and motorsport.  I give them a lot
of credit for that.  I live in Huntersville, NC, and I
can find CM on my grocery store's magazine rack
(although I subscribed anyway).  This is a huge
country and the vintage motorsports community makes up
a comparitively tiny percentage of our population, so
CM is doing something right if they can distribute to
small-town groceries...

I love Gary Anderson and he will be sorely missed.  I
wish him the best of luck and am sorry that he did not
agree with the direction CM is heading.  But give
Classic Motorsports at least a little bit of a break,
okay?

After all, there aren't all that many alternatives.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005
A vintage driving event in the spirit