Re: Error in Classic Motorsports MG Article

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Error in Classic Motorsports MG Article
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 20:10:50 EST
In a message dated 4/2/04 2:44:46 PM, Knockoffnut@aol.com writes:

> I just noticed that in the table on page 36 of the MG article in the latest
> issue of Classic Motorsports, that they say the model year1967 MG had an
> all-synchro transmission.

Knockoffnut is correct. ( I know because I wrote the tables.) The note in the
MG TIme LIne is accurate regarding the introduction of the all-synchro
transmission in Nov. 1967, which would have been on the 1968 model year cars. I
checked the table on the opposite page as I originally submitted it, and it had
been correct.

I can only guess that the proofreader didn't understand the difference
between model year and calendar year, and "corrected" my table to show the
all-synchro in the MY67 column.
I also noticed that the layout artist may have been involved in the error,
since the 1963-'64 column inexplicably deleted the reference to the 2,3,4
synchro. I suspect a tabbing error was made, and the resulting mistake was
corrected
incorrectly.

Unfortunately, I wasn't given the opportunity to confirm corrections or check
the final pages, though that's often the case in magazine publishing and the
reason why errors can creep in as proofreaders and production people
inevitably have the last word.

Too bad.
Cheers
Gary Anderson