Advice on engine rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on engine rebuild
From: CraigsInOK@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 11:00:39 EST
Hi All,

I've got a 77 MGB that I've been slowly updating.  I recently received a
bonus check and decided to apply it to the engine.  I'm trying to educate
myself
before I start and need advice, websites to read, books, ect that will help me
decide what route to go on the rebuild.

I'm not wanting to race but I am wanting to make sure that when I run with my
buddies in the club that drive American cars that I'm not left in the dust
either.  I probably want my cake and to eat it too but I'd like it to be
reliable, easy to care for, but faster than what I have now.

How high can I take the compression if I'm willing to run 92 or 93 octane
gas?  What type of cam should I consider?  Does balancing help on these engines?

I've already converted to SU's and the PO had switched to an old 25D
distributor.  I'd like to stick with the SU's.

Living in Oklahoma, a car this age doesn't require that the emissions
equipment be maintained and it has all be desmogged.

The shop I've been using British Motors Ltd, here in Oklahoma City, and Herb
have been excellent to work with but what steps should I check on or things to
look for to insure that everything is going as it should?

I certainly appreciate the advice and help that I know this group will give.

Thanks,

Craig
77MGB