Re: Carb & Trans Oil Questions

To: "Christian, Skip" <wellner.christian@navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Carb & Trans Oil Questions
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:56:11 +0100
Hi Skip,

Does seem like new/rebuilt carbs would be of benefit.  Off the top of my
head I can only think of a couple of benefits with HIFs - they have a
temperature compensated jet should not suffer from being over-rich on
hot-starts, and there is a bypass port which prevents fuel pooling in the
throat on a long idle which can eventually cause the engine to stall.  But
IMHO these are outweighed by the increased complexity, and having the float
chambers underneath and the cover seal submersed is a pain.  That and the
accursed poppet valves in the butterflies, which is an emissions measure.  I
also setting the fine mixture control with the lifting pin is much more
difficult on my HIFs than on my HSs, there is barely any difference in idle
as you raise the pin, but it is there.

PaulH.