Sticky Clutch Discs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sticky Clutch Discs
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:41:15 EDT
I woke the MGC up this weekend to start driving it over the summer, and  damn
it if the clutch disc hadn't welded itself to the flywheel.
I tried to get it into gear, but the mere pressure of the synchros wouldn't
break the clutch loose.
I tried starting it in gear with the clutch disengaged, but it just dragged
the car forward, and in a tribute to the strength of Lucas starter motors, and
 to the abundant torque of this particular engine, it started and ran uphill,
out  of the driveway, and along the street.
It took me a couple of blocks to get the damned thing broken free - you
really need three feet, one to hold the clutch in, one to keep the accelerator
half way down (the choke doesn't really apply enough gas) and a third to bang
on
 the brake repeatedly to try to get the thing to unleash its death grip on
the  flywheel.
It finally came free and after a purposely clutch slipping start to wipe  off
any residual oxidation, it now functions perfectly. I have heard of people
spraying CRC or some such into the bell housing, but wouldn't like to destroy
the clutch - has anyone tried that sort of thing? Obviously nothing oily that
didn't evaporate would be advisable.
Took the beast out for a run - and had forgotten that because it has some
headers we built for it that exit in twin pipes all the way back, it is bloody
noisy. Remembered when I fired it up and the car alarm of the BMW 2 cars down
was set off!
After a car like this with about 175 bhp, it gets really boring when I  drive
a friend's stock MGB.......
That it is now running makes up for the Lamborghini that wants to honk the
airhorns when I hook the battery up, and the Jensen Interceptor that has
decided  to lose all the brake fluid (where?) over the winter, and for good
measure
has  developed a highly temperamental driver's door lock that only works when
it  bloody well feels like it.
Bill