Re: Starter problems in a '66 B

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com (Max Heim), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter problems in a '66 B
From: Mgbbob@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:14:55 -0400
5 years ago, I had the very problem you describe, Max. It happened to me at
8:30 on a Friday night in a remote town.

Indeed the starter drive did jam into a buggered up ring gear and no amount of
rocking in 4th gear or persuasion would free it up. To make matters worse, I
was without tools....silly me. I didn't get home until 2:00AM

It took 10 minutes to remove the starter, spin the flywheel,
replace the starter and fire her up the next morning.

I've since rebuilt the engine and added an overdrive, but after a $250 towing
bill, I always carry tools.

Remember...the early MGBs chew up ring gears at an alarming rate...always
rotate it or replace it when you pull the motor.

Bob Stahlbush (bmcne.com)

66 MGB GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398L