Re: Floorboard treatment

To: battanhr@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Floorboard treatment
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:31:09 -0400
   Just treat them as you would any plywood, considering their location
and exposure.  I would spend the extra $$ to get 'marine grade' plywood.
 The specs for it are that there are no voids on the exposed surfaces,
that there are none in the inner veneers either, and that the glue is
waterproof.
   'Exterior grade'  may be good one side (A-C) or good both sides (A-A
if you can find it) and glued with exterior glue, but the presence of
voids in inner veneers is not conducive to long life as floorboards for
cars that are driven in the wet, especially if temperatures drop below
freezing.
   Once cut to shape and test fitted, you want to seal the edges.
Thinned paint does a pretty good job, actually, but even better is to
seal with one of the marine epoxy products available at hardware store.
Your goal is to keep water from entering the end grain of the wood.
Then you prime and paint the faces of the floorboards.   They should be
good for another 50 years or so, done this way.
Bob