Re: which vacuum source...

To: <MGBnutt@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: which vacuum source...
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:13:30 +0100
Definitely not correct.  The UK was the last market to change from ported to
inlet manifold and that happened in 1976.  North America changed in 1971.

>From late 76 North American cars had vacuum advance only enabled in 4th
gear, controlled by a switch on the gearbox and a solenoid on the firewall.
The switch was also used as the OD lockout hence OD was only available in
4th on these cars as well.  But the source was still manifold.  As it was
getting much more difficult to pass the emissions tests (every car was
individually tested) many cars had the points plate pinned in position if it
was the only way it could be made to pass.  They had all the vacuum advance
components, they were just ineffective.  And the source was still the
manifold.

PaulH.