Re: Wiper Wheelbox Stem

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wiper Wheelbox Stem
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:54:11 -0400
----- Original Message -----

> Subject: Wiper Wheelbox Stem

> I ordered another wheelbox and promprly seemed to have destroyed it

> How do I disassemble the wheelbox/stem assembly!

Well, you don't remove the fluted part to drop the gear... IIRC, it is
riveted or peened in place.

You do loosen or remove two nuts to R/R flared ends of the guide tubes. The
actuating cable then slides all the way through the ass'y - engaging the
gears as it does so. Leave those two nuts finger tight until the ass'y is
back in place so that all the sections will be properly aligned.

You may not have ruined your wheelbox. The fluted part that has been cracked
is where the wiper arm connects. Clean off any ragged edges and see how a
wiper arm fits. If it is a secure attachment, no one will ever see the
damage with the wipers in place.

Not sure what illustrations you are referring to (in the shop manuals).
Perhaps you are looking at the 'finisher & nut' that holds the wheelbox to
the body? Those parts are nowhere to be seen in the pictures in your link.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://community.webshots.com/user/ghnl1961