Cleaning Brake Master Cylinder

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cleaning Brake Master Cylinder
From: RobertS355@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:18:03 EDT
Slowly but surely, I'm rebuilding my '63 B after 20 years of sitting. A
couple of questions about brake and clutch master cylinders. When last driven,
both
the brake and clutch MC's were brand new. After 20 years the brake cylinder
wasn't in too bad of shape and a brake kit will take care of it. The clutch is
pretty bad and I've replaced it.

First question - while the brake MC was okay, there was dried gunk in it
which I've pretty well cleaned out. Is it okay to let it sit in mineral spirits
or
other solvent the make sure everything is clean? If so, what can be used to
make sure the solvent is completely cleaned out? Should I pump a lot of brake
fluid through it  before placing it back in the car?

Second question - on the clutch MC I've cleaned and refitted the banjo union
along with new washers. The problem is that the hole in the union and the
banjo bolt lie perfectly horizontal when tightened. There's no way of getting
the
line attached because it will be pointing right at the brake MC. Is the angle
of the union adjusted by shimming the innermost washer or fitting a thinner
washer?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob Scardamalia
'63 MGB #4754