RE: '64 & '73 MGB Title and ID plates for sale

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: '64 & '73 MGB Title and ID plates for sale
From: "David Breneman" <DAVID.BRENEMAN@dhl.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:28:57 -0700
 -----Original Message-----
 From: Larry list account [mailto:list@marketvalue.net]

> I don't know if it is legal, but I can tell you the hot
> rod/street rod/kit
> car guys do it all the time.  They build a car then buy the
> paperwork....

My state requires a safety inspection for cars brought in from out of state
(and sales tax to be paid if you've owned it less than two years!).  They'd
have a hard time inspecting a piece of paper and an ID plate. :-)  Beyond the
legal ramifications, there's also the ethical issue.  It's one thing to
take a Heritage body shell and populate it with all the components of another
car, then "make it that car".  You're saving a vehicle that would otherwise
disappear.  It's quite another thing to cobble together a car out of a parts
bin and try to pass it off as a car which will have a verifyable paper trail
behind it.  If I bought a car on good faith, sent in for my BMHT  records and
found out is was "supposed to be" a totally different car, I'm not sure who
I'd call first, the cops or my lawyer.  Probably the cops, as they're already
paid for.  :-)  Everybody knows that hot rods are built from a whole bunch
of parts, most of which have no original relationship to the chassis or
body they're attached to.  "Classic" cars are a whole different matter entirely.