Need Carb heat shield backing material

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Need Carb heat shield backing material
From: "John Graham" <theklube@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:55:02 -0400
Last year I replaced my carbs on my 70 MGB.  In doing so, I discovered that
the original insulating material on the engine side of the metal heat shield
was crumbling off.  I think that it was probably asbestos based so I went
ahead a took it all off.  I hunted about for a replacement and ended up
using an adhesive backed material that I purchased from an online source
(can't remember the name now).

Well this insulating material hasn't held up very well (it's peeled of to be
precise) and it seemed that it didn't do that great a job anyway.  When I
would run the car long enough to get things hot and then park it for a
while, when I started it, it would behave like it was flooded if it was less
than an hour or so since it had been run.  If I waited til the next day it
started better, but in either case the fuel pump would pump like mad for
about 10-15 seconds like the bowls were dry.  So my guess is that what I
have for a carb heat shield isn't working very well and the heat from the
manifold was heating the fuel bowl and probably boiling off the gas.  Both
carbs have bowl overflow tubes that just go straight down exiting near the
top of the crankcase oil pan.

Some time last year when I visited this question on the list, there were
suggestions of using a kind of board like material that might be used in
wood stove insulating panels or a shield for welding.  Do any of you have
success stories to pass on as to what will work well?

TIA

John Graham
'70 B
Charlotte, NC