intermittant alternator problem, solved?

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: intermittant alternator problem, solved?
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:56:33 -0500
Please don't laugh, but as a few of you suggested I think all I needed to do
was tighten the alternator belt:-(
I was getting 14.2 V at the alternator until I turned on the lights and then
it went down to battery voltage. Tightened the belt and now am getting 14.2
with lights on. Bentley's suggests a 1/2" deflection in the middle of the
belt, but I evidently wasn't judging how much pressure you had to put on it
correctly; it seems to take quite a lot of pressure to deflect it 1/2" now.
We'll see what happens............
Thanks to everyone for you patience with me.
Monte