RE: Fuel injection

To: "'Larry Colen'" <lrcar@red4est.com>, "'mgs'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel injection
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:21:31 -0400
While I am certainly guilty of the same time dedication to my V8, I have
been asked many times.  Why do you want to keep doing this to an MG? In my
case, my next car will probably end up being a ground up creation of my own.
You just reach a point where the time you need to do what you want to do to
an MG, would equal that for you to start from scratch.

I'm sure that the time you would need to get your supercharged B to the next
level would be less than that of putting a 200hp FI engine in place of it,
so I understand your position.  Undoubtedly the change of engine would
change or end your racing ability, so you do have to either draw the line
somewhere, or you have to win the lottery.  Unfortunately, even all of us
combined could not equal the time, money, and expertise that an OEM can put
into developing anything.

I can't help you with the other sensors, but again, you are creeping ever
closer to a FI system.  Probably the most effective solution is to build up
a FI computer, add on a boost sensing fuel pressure regulator, and move from
there.

Car Craft did an article a few months ago detailing the features of all of
the aftermarket FI systems, including one DIY kit that they really liked.  I
can't lay my hands on the article at the moment but I'll keep looking.  Once
you built the kit you download the best profile off of their website as a
baseline and then you could adjust fuel based on throttle position, load,
etc, on a set of 3d graphs via laptop.  It was a standalone fuel only
system, but I don't think it was the one being mentioned here on the list.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer