RE: Crank Timing Gear Problem

To: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>,
Subject: RE: Crank Timing Gear Problem
From: Chris Attias <cattias@ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:49:14 -0700
Thanks, Larry!  I tracked the old posting down, and will show it to
my Moss supplier.

Chris

At 5:22 PM -0600 5/3/04, Larry wrote:
>Chris, I've heard of this problem before.  I think on this list, and I think
>that Kevin got involved, but I've slept since then so I may be dreaming.
>
>I have the same adjustable gear set.  It slid on and off the crank with very
>little effort; certainly it did not take massive blows with a hammer to get
>on (taps with a mallet?), and taking it off did not require a puller.  Mine
>was purchased early in the game when they first became available from Moss.

On 16 Sep, 2002 Kelvin wrote:
I had the same problem with this set just over a year ago.  It took about an
hour with micro files to get the slots cleaned to the point I was happy.
This is upsetting, as I was one of the people pushing to carry this product.

Apart from the poor cleaning of the broached keyways I was very happy with
the quality of the product.

Now, the fact that you used a mallet to install your set concerns the heck
out of me.  How are you, or the next owner going to remove the lower gear in
the future?  The gear must be a smooth fit onto the crank, any kind of
clearance problem must be solved before jamming the thing onto the crank.
It's very difficult to remove the gears once they jam in place.

Going back to the original complaint.  The gear set is machined and packaged
in Australia, we have sent them some nasty letters about the ragged
broaching.  All in all the set is nice, but does require some "fettling" to
make it fit smoothly.

Kelvin.

--
Chris Attias