RE: Spoke wheels vs. disk:

To: "David and Kalon Randall" <superhoser@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Spoke wheels vs. disk:
From: "David Breneman (DHL US)" <DAVID.BRENEMAN@dhl.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:39:34 -0700
 -----Original Message-----
 From: David and Kalon Randall [mailto:superhoser@hotmail.com]

> I'm told that disk wheels are lighter and stronger than wire
> wheels (I've not
> weighed them myself).

That depends...

> Why then did the British racing cars all use wire wheels?

Because they were lighter and stronger!  :-)  Actually, they were lighter and
strong enough.  Until the advent of aluminum or alloy wheels, that is.  Wire
wheels also provided better brake ventilation.

> Even when they
> switched to Mini Lite style wheels, they were still
> center-lock (for ease of
> changing, I imagine). Were wires used for the same reason?

Yes, center-lock wheels provide greater ease of changing.  Stud-mounted
wheels are generally considered safer in the care of idiots.  :-)