Re: Spoke wheels vs. disk:

To: David and Kalon Randall <superhoser@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Spoke wheels vs. disk:
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:37:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- David and Kalon Randall wrote:
> I'm told that disk wheels are lighter and stronger
> than wire wheels (I've not
> weighed them myself).

Yes, the wheels themselves are lighter than the steel
wheels.  But when you factor in the weight of the
bulky hubs and spinners, the total weight of the wire
wheel assembly is heavier than disk wheels.

> Why then did the British racing cars all use wire
> wheels?

Not all of them did.  But the ones that did used them
for reduced weight (even though that turned out to be
a false savings), ease of changing and ventilation to
the brakes.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005