"front" of pistons

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: "front" of pistons
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 08:33:04 -0400
I am assembling a 3 main 1800 engine and when I went to install the pistons
I discovered that the machine shop installed the rods in the pistons
backwards.  IOW, in order for the big end to line up with the crank journal
the "front" stamp has to be in the back of the engine.
So, the question becomes, is the "front" stamp just to ensure that the
pistons are installed in the correct orientation so that the rods align with
the crank, or is there some other reason that the piston is installed in
that orientation?
Would there be any harm in installing the piston "front" to the rear?

The rods are the early type with the angled big end caps and a bolt securing
the wrist pin.  Any reason why I can't change the orientation of the rods?

TIA

Safety Fast!
Gordie Bird
'62 MGA