backfiring cured!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: backfiring cured!
From: MGBnutt@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 10:20:22 EDT
Many thanks to everyone on the list who pointed me towards a lean running
condition with my SU HIF44.  Thios was apparently causing hesitation on
acceleration and the occasional backfiring through the carb.  I only had about
30 mins
to work on the car yesterday, but I enriched the mixture about 1.5 turns and
adjusted the idle, then drove about 3 miles around town with no apparent
problems. (Yippee!)  The idle was up around 1000 RPM by the time I got back
home,
but it still seemed happy when I adjusted it back down to around 800.  My next
project will be to re-check the timing and hook up the (disconnected) vacuum
advance and see what effect that has on performance.  Keep you all posted on my
progress.  (P.S. simple website documenting my MGB antics will be up soon...)
Thanks,
donny v
1978 MGB