Re: British DVDs (OT)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British DVDs (OT)
From: Derek Gladding <derek@ebollocks.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:14:28 -0700
On Tuesday 18 May 2004 04:24 pm, Rocky Frisco wrote:

> Even worse! My nearly $300 DVD player for my Dell Laptop allows you
> to change the region just five times and then it permanently sticks
> on the last one selected. Does that stink or what?

There are hacked versions of the firmware available for most computer
DVD players that will make them region-free. Google for "DVD firmware".

If it the player software (rather than the drive itself) that's
region-locked, there are hacks available for that as well.

Warning: if you get a bad one, you may lose access to your DVD player
completely. However, I've re-flashed all of mine without any problems
(so far).

Oh yes ... British DVDs ? Easiest place is amazon.co.uk.

- Derek